Friday, February 26, 2010

Fatal

When reading chapter 12 for this week it was all about your research paper. It talked about formating your sources, bibliography, and expanding your ideas. So for my blog I wanted to take a recent event that happened in the news and see if I could format into a research topic.

I live in Chesapeake, VA and just last month two young men were killed in a dirt bike accident. When I first heard this news I immediately thought it was false. The two boys were riding back bye there house around seven and collided with one another coming around the corner. Neither of the boys were wearing helmets and it was dark outside. Brandon died at the scene where KC died at the hospital the next day. I ride motocross and hearing about someone get hurt due to stupidity just makes me even more sad. I'm sure if they were both wearing helmets they would still be here today.

I wanted to use Burke's Pentad to establish cause for this article. In this, he uses a series of five questions to figure out possible reasons for why this happened.

1. Act: What was done? What took place in thought or deed?- Two boys were riding with no helmets at night and it caused them to lose there lives.

2. Scene: When or where was it done? What is the background or scene in which it occurred?- It occurred January 28, 2010 on a back road in Chesapeake, Virginia.

3. Agent: Who did it? What person or kind of person performed the act?- Both of the boys did the act of riding the dirt bikes.

4. Agency: How was it done? What means or instruments were used?- It was done by the two riders not communicating and having a head on collision. The instrument that was used was a dirt bike and not having a helmet on contributed to it.

5. Purpose: Why did it happen? What was the main motivation?- It happened because they were riding when they were not supposed to be riding and did not have the right gear on to protect themselves.











No comments:

Post a Comment